Por La Gente Association
Below is a summary of the Por La Gente Scholarship Recipients since 1985. In that time, we have given out 41 scholarships. Less the 10 scholars that are in school right now, we have 31 who would be bachelor degree eligible (meaning that they have been in college for at least five years). Of those 31 students, we have at least 11 who have achieved a bachelor’s degree – better than 33%. Given that there are a few that have disappeared, if you are aware of some of these former students and can help update our information, please forward that to me.
• 52 Scholars Total
• 11 currently in school
• 31 Eligible to Receive Bachelors Degree
• 11 Bachelor Degrees
• 1 Masters Degree
• 1 Doctoral Degree
• Over $25,000 disbursed
In an effort to promote educational opportunities to Latino youth in the Racine County, the Por La Gente Association has established the Latino Student College Scholarships to be awarded to Racine area high school students. To qualify, applicants must: (1) be of Latino descent, (2) be a Racine County resident, (3) be in their final year of high school and (4) scheduled to attend a post-secondary institution on a full-time basis beginning the ensuing fall semester. All three PLG scholarships are $3,000 each.
ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is based on athletic achievement and participation in interscholastic sports competition. Applicants should demonstrate exceptional athletic ability, team leadership and/or good sportsmanship in their sports involvement.
ACADEMIC SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is based on academic achievement. Applicants should demonstrate exceptional academic ability.
COMMUNITY SERVICE SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is based on extracurricular and community involvement. Applicants should demonstrate exceptional participation in school activities as well as community service.
FINANCIAL NEED AND ECONOMIC BACKGROUND WILL ALSO BE CONSIDERED IN THE SELECTION OF BOTH SCHOLARSHIPS.
TO APPLY: Students must submit the following items by Friday, MARCH 3, 2023 at 11:59pm
1. Completed SIGNED application and disclosure forms; any incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. A copy of your OFFICIAL high school transcripts updated to include first semester of your senior year, as well as ACT scores (if applicable);
3. A letter of recommendation from a non-family member that can attest to your qualifications and academic and/or athletic achievements and/or community involvement.;
4. A typed essay giving a biographical sketch of who you are, career goals, & explanation of any financial need. *The typed essay should address the benefits of your academic, athletic achievements and/or examples of service in your community, but not to exceed 2 pages.
5. Copy of your emailed confirmation page with your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA
PLEASE SUBMIT ALL THE REQUESTED INFORMATION TOGETHER IN THE GOOGLE PORTAL.
CLICK HERE FOR THE PLG SCHOLARSHIP PORTAL LINK.
The PLG 22-23 Scholarship APPLICATION in a fillable PDF.
*The Por La Gente Association is now a tax-exempt, non-profit organization as described in section 501c3 of the IRS Code and is now accepting monetary contributions to go towards our annual college scholarships. If interested, please feel free to email us for more information.
FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING SCHOLARSHIPS CONTACT: Send an email to email@example.com