Por La Gente Association
Below is a summary of the Por La Gente Scholarship Recipients since 1985. In that time, we have given out 41 scholarships. Less the 10 scholars that are in school right now, we have 31 who would be bachelor degree eligible (meaning that they have been in college for at least five years). Of those 31 students, we have at least 11 who have achieved a bachelor’s degree – better than 33%. Given that there are a few that have disappeared, if you are aware of some of these former students and can help update our information, please forward that to me.
• 52 Scholars Total
• 11 currently in school
• 31 Eligible to Receive Bachelors Degree
• 11 Bachelor Degrees
• 1 Masters Degree
• 1 Doctoral Degree
• Over $25,000 disbursed
In an effort to promote educational opportunities to Latino youth in the Racine County, the Por La Gente Association has established the Latino Athletic Scholarship and Latino Academic/Community Scholarship to be awarded to area high school students. To qualify, applicants must: (1) be of Latino descent, (2) be a Racine County resident, (3) be in their final year of high school and (4) scheduled to attend a post-secondary institution on a full-time basis beginning the ensuing fall semester. Both are $3,000 scholarships.
ATHLETIC SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is based on athletic achievement and participation in interscholastic sports competition. Applicants should demonstrate exceptional athletic ability, team leadership and/or good sportsmanship in their sports involvement.
ACADEMIC/COMMUNITY SCHOLARSHIP: This scholarship is based on (1) academic achievement and/or (2) extracurricular or community involvement. Applicants should demonstrate exceptional academic ability and/or participation in school activities as well as community functions.
FINANCIAL NEED AND ECONOMIC BACKGROUND WILL ALSO BE CONSIDERED IN THE SELECTION OF BOTH SCHOLARSHIPS.
TO APPLY: Students must submit the following items by MARCH 1, 2022.
1. Completed SIGNED application and disclosure forms, any incomplete applications will not be considered.
2. A copy of your OFFICIAL high school transcripts updated to include first semester of your senior year, as well as ACT (if applicable);
3. Athletic Application: Submit one letter from a coach along with other items outlined on the application
4. Academic Application: Submit a letter of recommendation from someone OUTSIDE OF EDUCATION/SCHOOL that can attest to your qualifications and community involvement; along with other items outline in the application
5. A typed essay giving a biographical sketch of you, career goals and an explanation of any financial needs. Academic Application: The typed essay should address the benefits of your community involvement/academic achievements, but not to exceed 2 pages. Athletic Application: The typed essay should address the benefits of your athletic experience, but not to exceed 2 pages.
6. Copy of your emailed confirmation page with your Estimated Family Contribution (EFC) from your FAFSA application.
THE SCHOLARSHIP COMMITTEE WILL REQUEST A PERSONAL INTERVIEW OF THE FINALISTS. CANDIDATES WILL BE NOTIFIED OF THE DATE AND TIME OF THE INTERVIEW. ALL INTERVIEWS WILL TAKE PLACE ON SATURDAY APRIL 10, 2021.
PLEASE SEND ALL THE REQUESTED INFORMATION TOGETHER:
Via Mail to:
Attn: Scholarship Committee
Por La Gente Association
P.O. Box 085454
Racine, WI 53408
Email address: email@example.com
Subject Line: Attn: Scholarship Committee
Please attach all documents in PDF FORM ONLY
*The Por La Gente Association is now a tax-exempt, non-profit organization as described in section 501c3 of the IRS Code and is now accepting monetary contributions to go towards our annual college scholarships. If interested, please feel free to email us for more information.
FOR MORE INFORMATION REGARDING SCHOLARSHIPS CONTACT: Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org